Sunday 5 April 2009

This City Girl has Gone Good....

If you're one of the many who are looking for a job right now, I used to be that person you probably love to hate.

Until not so long ago, I was the Recruiter, the "Consultant", the one person who could influence a client to see your CV, or not. And I was good. In fact, I'm ashamed to say I was very good at manipulating people, finding out their "pushes" and their "pulls", driving them towards a role in a company that would pay me the highest commission. I made a lot more money than many of the people I was "helping". I apologise for that. I worked 12 or 13 hour days, I hit targets, I went on company trips to luxurious destinations, I got drunk and I partied and the next day I made it in to the office and hit more targets. 

And then I found a heart.

I appreciate that the paragraph above makes me sound cold - heartless - a bitch even. But I'm not, I can assure you. I was, I like to think, one of the better consultants out there. Despite being trained not to, I did actually care about the people I was representing, and because of that my methods were often frowned upon. I was a rare breed in my field...honest, which doesn't go down well in a profession dominated by liars. We weren't supposed to care whether you get your ideal job, or whether you like it, or whether you stayed there (more than 3 months that is...) We're just supposed to bill. And bill more. And more. Until we burn out or steal a client list and set up on our own, in a separate, even less scrupulous practice. At the end of the day, Recruiters are there to make money for their bosses. Lots of it. And if they, don't, they're out, quicker than you can say "I hate Recruiters". It's a harsh world.

I recruited Stockbrokers, Sales Stars and Marketing Guru's. People at the top of their game. People who make hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, but who, bless them, have no idea how to interview. Who still insist on putting a photograph or some "jokes" on their resume. I always got them jobs, I always made my money, but I rarely went home happy.

So recently, I just stopped. I decided I didn't want to lie for a living anymore. I want a life where I can see my friends, spend time with Him, get home before 10pm and not have to drink to "unwind" 5 nights a week. 

But I learnt a lot in my 12 years on the job, and it would be selfish to keep that to myself. I've published articles in trade magazines and presented to hundreds at seminars. So in times that we all know are hard, I want to help you get a head start if you need a job. There's going to be a lot of competition. There will be times you don't win. But I will do my best to share what knowledge I've gained, to give tips and advice, and to answer any questions you have. Whether you are looking for a job at £20k or at £120k, I hope I can help. And I won't make a penny from it.

If you, or anyone you know are looking for work, please take the time to read my ramblings. They may just apply to you. And if you have any questions that haven't yet been answered here, email me and I'll either reply in a new post or personally...

Maybe I'll eventually I'll even become the one you love to love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner